I took urine samples from me, Petey, and Spin. I did Petey first, and then me. Both of our samples sat out at room temperature overnight, while I repeatedly tried to get a sample from Spin. He stops going every time I drop the container to collect urine – he isn’t used to it. Finally, I got a few drops – literally a little over 1 mL. So, I looked under the microscope, and Petey and I were clear, but Spin had some cells in it.
Spin’s urine under the microscope
Petey’s urine under the microscope.
My urine under the microscope.
Then, I did my boiling test to precipitate protein.
1. Diluted urine from 1.3 mL to 2.6 mL by adding 1.3 mL of undistilled tap water. I did not really use mL, because there was no battery in the scale, just used the ruler. Not sure how it corresponds exactly, so it is 1.3 relative to the ruler.
2. Placed corked tubes in boiling water for 2 minutes. The corks blew (I usually use capped tubes for this assay and a larger amount). So, now time to reflect on the fact that the protein denaturation occurred adiabatically (1 atm) and was an open system meaning less of a driving force. Still, there was precipitate.
3. After capped cooling, initially, only Spin’s tube had significant precipitate in it.
Spin, Petey (middle), and me after cooling.
After 12 hours overnight, precipitate appeared in Petey’s tube, and a tiny bit in my tube. There is about 1/2 as much in Petey’s tube than in Spin’s. So, one expects less protein because I used less volume in the test than in the past.
Now, both Petey and I have been more positive on this test in the past, so I’m not sure how to interpret the results, except that they make me worry for Spin, and reassures me somewhat with respect to Petey.
Need blood work on Petey, when I can get a ride. His appetite for dog food has returned somewhat after the passover break. I think that I will swap the diet around, keeping it lower in protein for the most part, but changing out for some dog food that has omega-3 and glucosamine supplements in it sometimes. Thoughts are now to do blood chemistries on both Petey and Spin comparing them to the old ones, as opposed to the tick panel workup which involves figuring out how to ship blood with dry ice. These are about $25 or $30 each, and I need to get some 25 or 26g syringes to draw blood, and the proper tubes (purple for CBC, and 2 red for blood chemistry). With blood, I can also do the ESR tests, and look at the blood under the scope. Should use the red tubes for this – no additives. Picking the tubes up means 2 trips. I think I have enough for a blood cell panel analysis on Petey too ($25). I should do the tick workup when I have a little more money, and can figure out how to arrange a FEDEX pickup with dry ice and some people around here.
All of this kind of got me thinking about kidney problems. I was wondering whether when the kidneys start to go, if it doesn’t make sense to reduce the workload of one kidney. The other one then has to work twice as hard, but depending on the nature of what is causing the disease, and the relative additive impact of the agent to kidney trauma, there might be some situations where this would help. I guess one also has to rule out protease destruction of protein in the overnight room temperature samples above.
I wanted to work on the truck today while it is still a little cooler, but the problems seem overwhelmingly difficult. The longer a vehicle sits, the harder it is to start anyway. I need to find a way to drop the transmission. I’ve been thinking about trying to use ratchet tie downs strapped under it, and making a trolley from plywood and some caster wheels I recovered from a grocery cart. Still, at this point, I am not anticipating being able to fix the transmission – simply to try to understand how it all is put together and works.