I had a math teacher who used to always give me a hard time about “arrows”. Almost, every time I would use one in a proof, so focused on making progress, he would point out that I could usually go backwards i.e. the problem was reversible, so the arrows usually had to have 2 directions…
<==> vs. ==>
Anyway, I thought I would remember this thought in this context as I explored lithic reduction at the local archeological society meeting with its presentation of bifaces. There were quite a few molds, and mostly, I explored the visible differences in the technologies used to make the faces and edges. The larger flakes had lunar rings from the impact of the chipper,
but there were also some edges formed with antler points where the chipping was much finer, maybe to sharpen the blade.
The speaker commented on what seem to be corresponding points from Solutrean sites in Spain and France. Casts of the single labelled point seem to be made with antler chips, as the small chips extended lengthwise across the point, like the edge of the preClovis points.
The picture doesn’t really show it as well, but there is another picture on the web of a Solutrean point that shows it a little better.
I’m almost done sewing the hammock. I got the fabric for a little over $6. One more day and it will be done. As a theoretician, every decision is steeped in anguish. What kind of stitch is the best to use to sew the seam and wrap around the bar? How does one reorient the pull on the thread so that the force of weight on the hammock will not rip the fabric? Maintain elasticity or not in the line? Intersperse with knotting or not? Now, that everything is mostly sewn, woman, the tool inventor, needs to tackle to problem of hanging it. The old way involved holes in the fabric reinforced with round collars so that the hangar could stretch. It was kind of a pain to take the fabric/hammock on and off the frame. Having lost the original store hangars used on the frame, I had invented almost 4 different ways of attaching the hammock to the frame. Now, I’m tempted to drill holes into the bars on either side of the fabric, and hang it orienting the force from the outer edges centrally, as opposed to parallel. Not sure how this will affect things.
I got a plum tree to put in the ground. After about 4 inches of rain from the storm last night, I started to dig a hole to put it in the ground, but after about 4 inches, the soil is incredibly compact. I’m going to need a pick, or a chisel and a hammer to break it up.
Finally, finished mowing 1 acre. Having approached the problem in 1/8 acre increments, it took almost 1 week, and it is almost time to start again. When the ground dries.
Update 5/24: The good news: The hammock hangs and holds my weight. It could use some collars on the frame on the outside of the hanging areas, but it works well enough. I doubled the fabric over, so it is in fact double hung, but did not close it length-wise so it would dry more quickly. There is still a little piece of fabric for a pillow.
The bad news: The perk test. I filled the hole with water to try to soften the dirt to dig more for the tree, and 2 hours later, it had only drained about an inch.
Update 6/1: The fig tree is in the ground, and I put in 6 tomato plants, setting aside another 4 to put in the ground a bit later.